I have sometimes been asked why people keen to use WordPress for making website. So I wanted to share this idea with all of you. Let us start by asking few of the questions. How can website be created? Although all the non-computer science students will say – by using different web technologies or programming languages. Even if we ask from computer science students, most of them will although give some brief introduction that we can use certain programming languages like HTML, CSS, JAVA, .net, PHP, JSP and much more.
So are they right or wrong? They are absolutely right. We can create our website by using above mentioned language. But to create a high-level website, one must have deep knowledge of these languages and how to combine these languages for making a well user-friendly and descriptive website. I think many of the students lack such knowledge. Similarly, if we talk about the students who have not touch these languages, can never make their websites? Do they need to learn these languages before making websites? No, they do not need to do so. Instead, they can use automatic open source web builders for making their websites. An example of such web builder is “WordPress”. Let us come to know about what actually WordPress is.
Also Read: How to find websites that use WordPresss
WordPress is an all-in-one tool that makes building websites extremely easy. Whereas real site development requires writing pages upon pages of programming code, with WordPress, you can create pages, insert images and install menus with literally one click of your mouse. If you are familiar with Microsoft word then you can easily use WordPress as it is a menu driven tool.
You just click “Add New,” type whatever you want to say, click a button to add images and videos and then click the “Publish” button. To make things even easier, WordPress includes a category system for organizing your content.
Moreover, WordPress is a content management system, or CMS, that serves as an application for building websites. I myself have barely any prior web development experience, and yet I managed to put together this site on my own.
I have come across many people who say that there are many CMS available in the market such as Joomla, Drupal, Blogspot but why you suggest using WordPress. I am going to narrate few of the characteristics of WordPress in brief that make it superior to all CMS.
Top Five Reasons to Use WordPress for making Website
- SEO– If you want to stay alive in the strong competition off blogging, the most important thing you need is SEO (Search Engine Optimization). It includes organic SEO, On page SEO, Off page SEO etc. WordPress provides good (SEO) right out of the box. And if you think why SEO is necessary, then as far as if you want to be on top of the searches, you must have your website properly optimized. There are many plugins solely developed for SEO. Examples of such plugins are – WordPress SEO by Yoast, All in One SEO Pack, Platinum SEO Pack.
- Content Management– It includes the creation/uploading of content to your website to go live. As mentioned earlier, using WordPress is as easier as to use Microsoft word due to its user-friendly interface. Being from CSE Background, I still remember lots of software we had to use for making a web-based project such as Netbeans, Notepad++, Dreamweaver, DHTML, Eclipse etc. But WordPress is set up for you, you can easily create new pages or edit existing pages using a simple rich text editor.
- Extensions– There is a thriving ecosystem of developers creating themes and plug-ins. There are lots of inbuilt themes available for each type of category. There are many themes for Educational/Technology/Magazine/Sports/ Health/ Entertainment blogs. You can use any of the themes. Imagine free design themes, or the ability to extend your website with polls, contact forms, ratings or hundreds of other cool features without having to hire a web developer.
- WordPress Support– If you do have problems, or want to add very custom features, it is easy to find support and developers who can help you. There are literally thousands of WordPress developers out there. And there are so many people writing about WordPress that help is only a Google search away.
- One-click-installation– It is easy to install the WordPress from cPanel. Just go to fantastic Deluxe and select WordPress as a tool. Alternatively, If you have programming/ web designing knowledge then you can download the WordPress in offline mode and can use FileZilla/XAMP/WAMP server to configure it online.
These are some reasons why I choose WordPress for making my own blog. Do share your feedback and suggestions.