Are you losing twitter followers? Of course you are, that’s why you are here. I know it takes a lot of efforts to build your presence online and gain followings. You would have worked very hard and executed your plan to build up your audience and now it is heartbreaking to see losing twitter followers. Twitter is one of the popular social channels which can help you in maximizing your business online. Although it is normal to see few following drops and unfollows considering how social media behaves at times but if you are seeing it too often, then there is something wrong. That’s why you should take this seriously and have a look at what can be costing you to losing twitter followers.
Top Reasons You Are Losing Twitter Followers
There can be many reasons why you might be losing twitter followers. Here, I am sharing most effective reasons which might be troubling you.
Also Read: 10 Premium Social Media Templates
- You Post About Anything (Irrelevant to your BIO)
You are not posting what your business demands and what followers want to read. You are posting anything random on your Twitter handle just to increase the number of tweets. You are not sticking with your niche. E.g. You have a twitter page about sports and you have ardent sports followers. You post about sports related stuff and you get a good reach and retweets/likes etc. But soon you start posting about stuff other than sports such as Politics, Science etc. which does not go well with your followers. Since you are posting irrelevant stuff more than often, your followers might not like it and hence forced to unfollow you.
The advice here will be – if your bio says – ‘tweets about sports’, then stick to sports itself.
2) You are Over Promotional
Being over promotional is one of the major reasons why you are losing twitter followers. Although it is a good idea to shout out your products/affiliate links to your twitter audience but there is a limit to everything. Do not spam your followers. If the users see you being too promotional, it gives a negative impression and they might feel to unfollow you.
The key note here is to keep promotional messages natural. Mix it with interesting content which your followers might like and add to their knowledge. Also, do not send endless direct messages to your audience every day in order to promote your products or services.
3) You are NOT Tweeting
If you do not tweet and only retweets other account’s tweets, it may be costing you. Though there is no harm in retweeting but relying fully on retweets and not tweeting anything of your own, it can be a big turn off for your audience. Your followers want to read from you and to know your opinions, so doing only retweets won’t help you much. It can be proved as a major reason for losing twitter followers.
Try to keep it a mixture. Do share your tweets and when you like anything, you are free to retweet. Keep it organic.
Also Read: How To Drive Traffic From Quora
4) You do not Respond to Mentions/Messages
If you are not having the conversation with your audience, you are giving them a chance to move on. If anyone mentions you or messages you to ask your opinion, you should definitely respond to them. If you do not respond, they might feel frustrated and fed up. Even if you do not have specific answers to their questions, try to have a constructive discussion. Not everyone is supposed to know everything. It will also help you to build up a good relationship with them.
5) You Use too Many Hashtags
Hashtags are an effective way to increase your reach. They help your business to be found by more people. Using hashtag is good but overusing it is a sin. If people find it difficult to read your tweets because of overuse of hashtags, it won’t take much time to force them press Unfollow button. As per the report from Buffer, three or more hashtags results in a 17% decrease in engagement. Using one to two hashtags improves engagement by 21%. So, do not fill your tweets with lots of hashtags. Use them wisely!
Image Source: Internet
6) You Do Not Proofread Your Tweets
Spelling and grammar mistakes can cost you much. A professional is not allowed to make such mistakes. It leaves a negative impression on the audience and might lead to losing twitter followers. It is ok if you do not know the spelling or able to frame sentence properly. You can use online tools for this. I am using Grammarly (FREE) and it is a wonderful tool to help you proofread your tweet and fix spelling and grammar mistakes.
You can read more about Grammarly here – Grammarly Tool For Fixing Spelling & Grammar Mistakes
Other Important Reasons For Losing Twitter Followers
- You Bought low-quality followers. And now they are unfollowing you. Twitter also has an automated system to detect spam accounts and delete them. Hence, you are seeing the drop in the followers count.
- You promise people to follow back once they follow you (e.g. #followForfollow). But the problem is you unfollow them shortly after. The followers observe this and they unfollow you again.
- You keep changing your theme/BIO/DP way too often. It makes difficult for followers to recognize you and your credibility. They may not remember when they followed you so always a chance to unfollow you.
- You are arguing too much with users on Twitter. Constructive discussion is good but aggressive language and heated arguments lead to losing twitter followers.
- You are not active on Twitter or your posting frequency is not good. Either you are posting very less or too much which is causing you followers drop.
That’s all in this article. I hope you got many reasons why you are losing twitter followers. Twitter is a great medium to expand your biz. Use it wisely and avoid mistakes mentioned above. Are there any other reasons we could have included in this list? Do share your views in the section below. Also, do not forget to share this article with your friends.
Latest posts by Mohit Arora (see all)
- 10 Best Two Tier Affiliate Programs With Recurring Commission - September 14, 2019
- 10 Best Social Media Templates to Highlight Your Social Accounts - August 23, 2019
- 6 Best WordPress Hosting Providers in 2019 - August 10, 2019