This is the critical question that comes to every student who is going to pass his matriculation. Many of my own knowns have asked me the same question – What to do after 10th : Diploma or +2 Non Medical ? I have also done a diploma cum degree from Chandigarh College Of Engineering & Technology ( Panjab University). So I opted to write an article on it and wanted to share my views about it with you all.
Before starting, I would like to mention that a diploma is not equivalent to the degree (in case if someone is in confusion with it). Now coming to our main point, there is a vast difference between the diploma and 12th with non-medical. +2 is the general line and if you want to go for various types of graduation courses(not specifically for Engineering) then you can go for +2 with non-medical because after completion of 12th with non-medical, you can go for any type of field.
Whereas Diploma is the specialized field and technical study which is to be done after 10th. 10th is mandatory to do the diploma. You must have completed your 10th with more than 50% marks under some recognized university or board. Then after you will be eligible for the diploma.
Also Read: Top 5 Things You Miss After College Life
Diploma or +2 Non Medical
+2 has only four streams that are:
Whereas a diploma can be done in any of the following streams. The various streams in the diploma are:
1) Diploma in Nursing
2) Diploma in Engineering
3) Diploma in Fashion Designing
4) Diploma in Interior Designing
5) Diploma in Journalism
And the list goes on…
For only engineering, there are also various streams of the diploma. The streams are:
- Computer science engineering
- Information technology
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Food technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
and the list goes on….
I hope now you all are familiar with diploma or +2 Non Medical.
If you want to do Engineering and are confused between Diploma or +2 Non Medical, read following key points carefully:
1) You will have to do six-year study ( after 10th) in both cases to become Engineer-
Diploma : 3 years
Degree: 3 years ( You will get admission in 2nd year directly)
+2 Non Medical : 2 years
Degree: 4 years
2) Diploma in Engineering will provide you the foundation for Engineering and will almost cover all the subjects related to a particular stream which you choose i.e if you select Diploma you will cover all the subjects ( in basics) that you will be doing in degree.
On the contrary, if you select +2 non-medical, you will study Intermediate consists of PCM(Physics, Chemistry, Maths), Bi.P.C(Physics, Chemistry, Biology), Commerce,.etc which is of a two-year course.
Conclusion: Completing a diploma is definitely advantageous because if you complete the diploma in a particular stream then graduation in the particular stream will be very easy. Usually, diploma and +2 courses will be treated equally but diploma definitely has got an upper hand.
3) If you belong to a middle-class family and your parents can not afford to give you a higher study than you should do Diploma as on the basis of Diploma even you can get a job easily ( Many of my own friends got selected in many renowned companies: IBM, AMW, L&T, Godrej). You can do part-time degree A.M.I.E.(Associate Member of The Institution of Engineers India).
4) If you are good at studies and have the ability to get the good AIEEE(All India Engineering Entrance Examination ) Rank, then I would suggest you go for the +2 Non-Medical. After giving the AIEEE exam you have a lot of colleges waiting to give you admission. But in the case of Diploma, there are limited colleges that follow LEET(Lateral Entry Entrance Test), a test that allows you to take admission in 2nd year directly. However some colleges do not take the LEET test, they just consider the diploma percentage and make merits entirely on diploma percentage.
5) There is also a slightly different impact on your resumes of these two branches. If you have firstly done in a specific stream and then you have done the degree in that stream, obviously you will have an edge on ones who have done +2 non-medical and has studied PCM ( Physics, Chemistry, Math). You will have more practical knowledge ( as you have also to make live projects in the diploma as well) and the interviewer will consider this. But this coin does not work every time. Some companies prefer +2 to Diploma. For them +2 matters more.
6) If you are not sure what line you want to choose in the future, prefer to do +2, not the diploma, as you will get two years more to decide your line in which you are interested.
Advice: Listen to everyone, But do what your heart says. I too was approached by many friends to drop the idea of a diploma and do the +2 Nonmedical. But I did not. And I am happy with my decision, I got the job in a top IT company.
I have listed out many key points. The choice is yours. Things change a lot respective to the college you are getting admission. Try to get admission in good and higher colleges.
I hope this article on Diploma or +2 Non Medical will be beneficial to you. If you have any suggestions, feedback, or experience, you can share it with our readers. All you have to do is to comment below.
Good luck everyone 🙂
- Liquid Web Coupons & Liquid Web Review (Nov 2020) - November 5, 2020
- FastComet Coupon Codes & FastComet Review (60% Off) - October 30, 2020
- Top 10 Black Friday Hosting Deals 2020 (The Mega List) - October 26, 2020