A voice browser is a device that interprets voice input and interprets voice markup languages to generate voice output. It interprets a script which specifies exactly what to verbally present to the user as well as when to present each piece of information.
What is “Voice Browser”
- A software application
- Works with various markup languages
- Interpret voice input and generate voice output.
How Voice Browser works?
Actually working on five markup languages:
- Natural Language Semantics Markup Language
- Dialog Markup Language
- Text-to-Speech Markup Language
- Multi-Modal Markup Language
- Speech Recognition
- Speech Synthesis
i. Accessing business information:
- The corporate “front desk” which asks callers who or what they want
- Automated telephone ordering services
- Support desks
- Order tracking
- Airline arrival and departure information
- Cinema and theater booking services
- Home banking services
ü Accessing public information:
- Community information such as weather, traffic conditions, school closures, directions and events
- Local, national and international news
- National and international stock market information
- Business and e-commerce transactions
iü Accessing personal information:
- Voice mail
- Calendars, address and telephone lists
- Personal horoscope
- Personal newsletter
- To-do lists, shopping lists, and calorie counters
- Voice is a very natural user interface which speeds up browsing.
- Fewer space requirements.
- Portable voice browsers can also be implemented.
- Practical interface for functionally blind users.
- Users can browse the web while keeping their hands and eyes for other jobs.
- Access to telephones and wireless phones than to desktop browsers.
- Hands-free access is needed.
- Easy to use – for people with no knowledge or fear of computers.
FUTURE DIRECTIONS AND ISSUES
It is much more to a voice browser being usable than devising a speech markup language or mimicking a telephone voice response system. Using audio only to browse the Web is much more than adding multimedia capabilities to a visual browser. The following summarizes some future research directions to make voice browsers a reality:
- The problem of intelligently speaking a heavily formatted page that uses tables inside tables inside tables.
- Better WWW programming languages.
- Speaker verification for secure access.
- Requirements for interoperable mechanisms for controlling synthetic speech engines using a markup language, style sheets or scripting.
- Support for multilingual documents.
- Ability to include non-speech audio samples (branding).
- Link Whisper Reviews – Best WordPress Internal Linking Plugin? - May 19, 2020
- Trends in Digital Marketing That You’ll Need to Adapt to in 2020 - May 5, 2020
- 6 Best Tools to Grow Email List in 2020 - May 3, 2020