This is the critical question that comes in every student who is going to pass his matriculation. Many of my own knowns have asked me same question – What to do after 10th : Diploma or +2 Non Medical ?. I have also done diploma cum degree from Chandigarh College Of Engineering & Technology ( Panjab University). So I opted to write an article on it and wanted to share my views about it with you all.
Before starting, I would like to mention that diploma is not equivalent to degree (in case if someone is in confusion with it). Now coming to our main point, there is vast difference between diploma and 12th with non-medical. +2 is the general line and if you want to go for various types of graduation courses(not specifically for Engineering) then you can go for +2 with non-medical because after completion of 12th with non-medical, you can go for any type of field.
Whereas Diploma is the specialized field and technical study which is to be done after 10th. 10th is mandatory to do the diploma. You must have completed your 10th with more than 50% marks under some recognized university or board. Then after you will be eligible for diploma.
Also Read : Top 5 Things You Miss After College Life
+2 has only four streams that are:
Whereas diploma n be done in any of the following stream. The various streams in diploma are:
1.Diploma in Nursing
2.Diploma in Engineering
3.Diploma in Fashion Designing
4.Diploma in Interior Designing
5.Diploma in Journalism
And list goes on…
For only engineering , there are also various streams of diploma. The streams are:
1.Computer science engineering
9.Electronics and communication Engineering
and list goes on….
I hope now you all are familiar with diploma and +2.
If you want to do Engineering and are confused between Diploma or +2 Non Medical , read following key points carefully:
1) You will have to do six year study ( after 10th) in both cases to become Engineer-
Diploma : 3 years
Degree: 3 years ( You will get admission in 2nd year directly)
+2 Non Medical : 2 years
Degree: 4 years
2) Diploma in Engineering will provide you the foundation for Engineering and will almost cover all the subjects related to a particular stream which you choose i.e if you select Diploma you will cover all the subjects ( in basics) that you will be doing in degree.
On the contrary, if you select +2 non medical , you will study Intermediate consists of PCM(Physics, Chemistry, Maths), Bi.P.C(Physics, Chemistry,Biology), Commerce,.etc which is of a two year course.
Conclusion: Completing diploma is definitely advantageous because if you complete diploma in a particular stream then graduation in the particular stream will be very easy. Usually diploma and +2 courses will be treated equally but diploma definitely has got an upper hand.
3) If you belong to a middle class family and your parents can not afford to give you a higher study , than you should do Diploma as on the basis of Diploma even you can get job easily ( Many of my own friends got selected in many renowned companies: IBM, AMW, L&T, Godrej). You can do part time degree A.M.I.E.(Associate Member of The Institution of Engineers India).
4) If you are good at studies and have the ability to get the good AIEEE(All India Engineering Entrance Examination ) Rank, than I would suggest you to go for the +2 Non Medical. After giving AIEEE exam you have a lot of colleges waiting to give you admission. But in case of Diploma there are limited colleges that follows LEET(Lateral Entry Entrance Test), a test that allows you to take admission in 2nd year directly. However some colleges do not take LEET test , they just consider the diploma percentage and make merits entirely on diploma percentage.
5) There is also a slightly different imapct on your resumes of these two branches. If you have firstly done in a specific stream and than you have done degree in that stream, obviously you will have a edge on one who has done +2 non medical and has studied PCM ( Physics, Chemistry, Math). You will have more practical knowledge ( as you have also too make live projects in diploma as well) and interviewer will consider this. But this coin does not work everytime. Some companies prefer +2 to Diploma. To them +2 matters more.
6) If you are not sure what line you want to chose in future, prefer to do +2 not diploma, as you will get two years more to decide your line in which you are interested.
Advice: Listen to everyone , But do what your heart says. I too was approached by many friends to drop the idea of diploma and do the +2 Non medical. But I did not. And I am happy with my decision, as by the grace of god , I got job in IT company.
I have listed out many key points. Choice is yours. Things changes a lot respective to the college you are getting admission. Try to get admission in good and higher colleges.
I hope this article will be beneficial to you. If you have any suggestions, feedbacks or experience, you can share with our readers. All you have to do is to comment below.
Good luck everyone 🙂
Latest posts by Mohit Arora (see all)
- What You May Not Know About MD5 Hash Generator 2? - February 19, 2017
- Revive Old Post Plugin Review: Share Old Blog Posts on Social Sites - January 9, 2017
- LSI Keywords – What Are They & Tools To Find Them - December 23, 2016